I have thought a lot about what it takes to be a great social media manager, and how to use each social platform to its fullest potential. Each person has a different take on how one should use social media and present their brand on each network. When putting together a strategy here are a few things to think of:
1. Brand - As with anything social media marketing is all about your brand. Once you know your brand you know how to be present on each social network. When you know your brand you know how to post, what to post, and draw your people onto your social sites.
2. Sales - Using social media is more than just a place to post your sales pitch. It’s all about presenting your brand to general public and invite them into your inner circle. When you present a sales pitch you are more likely to alienate your clients. I have seen people push sales on social sites and each and every time I head the term “used car salesperson” thrown around. Is that really how you want to be viewed?
3. Engagement - How are you going to get your fans talking about you? Some brands do an amazing job with this, others not so much. When someone engages with your brand they feel like they are part of your brand and so feel like they need to support you when they make a purchase.
4. Creativity - This is what creates a viral campaign. When you’re creative you’ll draw people in, if for no other reason than to see what the next post will be. Creativity is what makes social media fun and interesting.
5. Focus - If you think social media is all about you failure is inevitable. You need to show your love and gratitude for followers/fans. It’s not difficult to show your respect to your followers but this is often missed in a social media strategy.
These are all things to think about when putting a social media strategy together. Does your strategy have all of these?
Expert - You are an expert in your field so show your followers/fans that you know more than your competitors. This builds trust and when you have trust people will come to you with their questions and support you.